Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SRAM technology phased out ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bukitoo

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi! I am developing a Project where we are deciding which memory technology use. I asked ST about one IC and they told me that ST won't produce SRAM ICs in the future. They will be focused on PSRAM (DRAM with embedded refresh).

Is that a GLOBAL trend ? What do you think about that ?

:?:

static memory is an "obsolete" technology when it comes to large amounts of system memory (greater than a megabyte).

It take more components to store a single bit of data (6 transistors for one bit of static ram and one transistor + one capacitor for dynamic ram) hence it takes up more space.

It is typically faster than dram, but it does cost more to produce (since it uses more components).

Sram used mainly as cache because of it's high speed. Dram is used as system memory because it takes up less space and it's cheaper to produce. Sram is the reason why processors with more l1, l2 cache are significantly more expensive than a same speed processor with less cache.

How much memory are you trying to address?

I KNOW THE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN TECHS, BUTS I WAS IMPRESSED FOR THIS ST DESITION.

I WANT TO ADDRESS JUST 1 MB

THANKS FOR THE REPLY

I too am developing a project with STM and they confirmed me this intention.

In my opinion, it's a number (quantity) problem.
DRAM is focused on Personal Computer and consumer electronics, so moves very high numbers, instead of SDRAM or SRAM, wich target is embedded systems, with less numbers than PC world.
(think a minute about how many PC memories are sold per day, and how many chips are there, then think at how many SRAM memories are sold per day... sure very very less!)

I agree also with Bukitoo, about costs in production of this kind of memories...

Mix them together and probably you'll have the answer!

(I have to address 16MB of memory, but the problem is the same :) )

Best regards.

Sirio.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back