Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Spurs on clock caused by cross-talk inside FPGAs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiger_shark

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
cross-talk inside FPGAs?

Hi,

I am involved in a project that uses Xilinx S3-1500. He highest clock is 108 MHz and we observe that the clock will have a whole chunk of spurs on it, specially the 54,27 MHz which are generated inside FPGA using DCMs. My question is , Do you think it might be happening from cross-talk between clock-tree and the logics inside FPGA at this speed?

Any comments on this would be appreciated.
Regards- TS

cross-talk inside FPGAs?

That’s a really interesting one.

I have never seen a problem with cross-talk inside the device, would you be kind enough to share you findings on this one TS.

Many Thanks Bob

Re: cross-talk inside FPGAs?

I will do so if I fiind anything. I guess the problem should have other causes rather than cross-talk in FPGA. That was one of the possibilities that I have in mind. if I didn't get back to you in a week or so, please remind me again.

Any thought or previous experiences like this from other experts?

Thanks for the help,
Regards - TS

Hi,

All FPGAs and ASICs are designed to avoid possible crass-talk with appropriated software palcement and routement tools. I think that you cannot expect any cross-talk problems under recomended IC conditions.

cross-talk inside FPGAs?

hi TS

The only similar effect I’ve seen (and it was in a digital circuit, but not an fpga) was caused by ground bounce. I didn’t realise what was going on until I started to use a fet probe (a standard probe tended to mask the problem).

Any luck with it so far?

Bob

Hi,

Thanks for sharing the idea. The bouncing ground exists partially but is not believed to be the major reason (maybe managers don't like to believe b/c they have to change 2000 cards :) ) and now we are pursuing pick-up sources that exist out of FPGA (on the board).

Regards- TS

cross-talk inside FPGAs?

What exactlly is a problem, can you please post oscilogramm?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back