Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Split power plane guidance please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smillsey

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all

I have a general question about split power planes.

let’s look at an example of a split power plane on layer 5 of an 8 layer PCB.

9DE3252F-A4F0-4E7F-8BC2-983568583984.png

There will be high speed signals on layer 3 and layer 6. Impedance calculations have been made for 100Ohm differential signal traces on layer 3, and other signal layers, the ground plane is closer (6mil) to the signal layers than this split power plane(15mil)

the power plane will provide power to ICs on the top and bottom layer, but these are power islands at the moment and I only have 1x 3.3V regulator and 1x 1.8V regulator to supply all islands

The 3.3v islands will become 1 plane.

can I simply daisy chain the 1.8V islands together, using vias to another layer and connecting with big traces through a via and running a thick trace to the next island?

or am missing something very obvious?

Last edited:

Why don’t you just have two continuous planes instead of all those islands? For one thing, You’ll get better signal integrity. Without knowing more about your layout, currents, etc., it’s hard to say much more.

or, consider changing one of your ground planes to a power plane.

If layers 3 and 6 have sensitive signals, you may want to consider making it a 10 layer board and make inserting 2 power planes between 4 and 5 making L-5 GND. this is the safest approach.

If you want to keep it as a 8-layer board, then maybe making L-2 a power plane would be safer. just fill any gaps with GND on top and bottom.

If layers 3 and 6 have sensitive signals, you may want to consider making it a 10 layer board and make inserting 2 power planes between 4 and 5 making L-5 GND. this is the safest approach.

If you want to keep it as a 8-layer board, then maybe making L-2 a power plane would be safer. just fill any gaps with GND on top and bottom.
Hey HasHx

thanks for that

I can go to 10 layers, no problem.
Do you mean;

SIGNAL
GROUND
SIGNAL
POWER
GROUND
GROUND
POWER
SIGNAL