Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Split Capacitor DAC, how to layout the split capacitor Cs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

a991852

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi All,

I'm trying to implement a split capacitor array DAC, which is shown in this following picture:

Untitled.png

The problem is that the scaling capacitor is not a unit sized capacitor, which cannot be placed inside the capacitor array.

My Idea for the solution is that:

If the scaling capacitor is 1.125C, then I'll put the 1C inside the capacitor array layout, and an external 0.125C. Hence I would get good matching for the 1C which is drawn with other unit sized capacitor, and the 0.125C even though with bad matching, 10% of 0.125C would not affect my circuit.

Does this idea seem applicable or is there another way?

Does this idea seem applicable or is there another way?

I think it's ok. But as you need a big array anyway, you could spend 8 more unit caps in series to achieve 0.125C - e.g. around the 1C scaling cap part - so you can build your whole scaling cap inside the array.

Reactions: a991852 and Yarrow

Yarrow

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

a991852

V

I think it's ok. But as you need a big array anyway, you could spend 8 more unit caps in series to achieve 0.125C - e.g. around the 1C scaling cap part - so you can build your whole scaling cap inside the array.

Thats a great idea too! Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.