Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

spikes problem of switching converters

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshh

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I designed cascaded converters and I have switching spikes at the output c6. spikes and zoom on each spike is attached. how to eliminate it? I used snubber circuit

Attachments

• boost converter.PDF
    21.5 KB · Views: 91
  • DS0014.PNG
    DS0014.PNG
    42.6 KB · Views: 98
  • DS0015.PNG
    DS0015.PNG
    22.3 KB · Views: 91

Hi,

Either a PCB layout problem (impossible to give a recommendation without the PCB layout)
Or a measurement priblem. (No need to eliminate)

Klaus

Most of that noise is artifact from probing and other issues ( CM noise from the mosfet ) I can tell this because the volts go DOWN before they go up - as would normally be the case for a booster. In your case put a film foil cap from cathode to gnd on the boost diode ( short legs and ideally back to the fet source ) and then put a snubber on the boost diode ... ( you can also slow the turn on of the mosfet - this will help for RFI and your noise pickup on your scope probe )

Also add tight decoupling at the buck...eg a small ceramic value ceramic cap from buck fet drain to buck diode anode.

Also, of note is that you have no current sensing for either the boost fet or the buck fet...so it could be dangerous for you at eg startup or transient

It is soldered wires on board, I think the problem comes from mosfet paracitic capacitance. How to reduce it ? Should I increase the gate resistor or decrease it?
--- Updated ---

. In your case put a film foil cap from cathode to gnd on the boost diode
Why film capacitor?

Last edited:

Hi,
It is soldered wires on board,

like written in your other thread. Every IC manufacturer and every MOSFET manufacturer provides application notes and design examples.
The are especially for unexperienced but also for experienced circuit designers. And they are for free. So use it.
They show you in detail what to care for and how to design the circuit and the PCB layout.

Klaus

Like this one
1609162857956.png

It is soldered wires on board,
So you are doing an SMPS with stripboard and wires?....not a PCB.
My friend, i feel sorry for you....sorry but please stop now, you cannot do this. Its just too noisy.
Please see attached for PCB layout of SMPS...

Attachments

• Basics of SMPS Layout _4.zip
    543.1 KB · Views: 105

Status
Not open for further replies.