Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SPI port for RS232 communication

Status
Not open for further replies.

edaboard_rao

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi
can anybody help me out by giving any idea , in using SPI port of a procesor for UART i.e. RS232 communication.If yes could pls tell me how.

Hi,
In SPI, the data is sent out and received synchronised with a clock and even to receive a byte, you have to send out a dummy byte where as in a UART the data TX/RX is done asynchronously using start stop bits to package the data bytes in transmission. So, for a byte TX/RX, it requires a minimum of 10 bits for UART.

SPI is based on a master slave concept where it is always the responsibility of the master to issue clocks and send or receive a byte. There need not have any such relationship between two devices communicating over a UART.

Since these two systems are inherently different, they can not be connected directly, you need a converter in between.

Regards,
Laktronics

Status
Not open for further replies.