Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SPI Interface

Status
Not open for further replies.
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
How will my Microcontroller(SPI Master) know at what frequency my SPI slave is operating? On what basis it will generate SCK/SCLK supported by a slave?

Hi,

If I need to know this, I'd read the datasheets.
The datasheet of the slave and the datasheet of the microcontroller.

We can't know what slave and what microcontroller you use, so we neither can read the darasheets for you (what we really don't want to), nor can we give any value recommendations.

Many microcontroller manufacturers provide additional assistance in form of application notes, design notes, code examples, configuration software and so on..

Just do an internet search, or go through related threads here in this forum.

Klaus

Dear sir,
Let's presume, My SPI Master runs at a frequency of 500MHz, my slave works at a frequency of some 20MHz, how will my master know what frequency should it generate on SCK/SCLK, that is supported by my slave device. How will it detect the supported slave frequency?

It doesn't, you program the master so its SPI clock speed doesn't exceed the maximum of the slave.
You find the maximum slave speed from its data sheet.

Brian.

Hi,

have a look in the datasheet of your intended slave IC. There the maximum operation frequency is stated as well as clock phase and polarity. As you are programming the MCU, you have to ensure to operate the slave IC within its limits i.e. not exceeding the maximum SPI clock frequency.

The SPI bus is basically a shift register. You are clocking data from the master towards the Slave and from the Slave towards the Master at each clock transition provided by the Master.

BR

Status
Not open for further replies.