Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Speed measuring using Microwave Doppler Radar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jestin_cubetech

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Speed measuring using Microwave Doppler Radar Sensor

can we make a Speed measuring device using Microwave Doppler radar Sensor ?

**broken link removed**

According to the first sentence of your pdf yes. Am I missing something here?

can i implement with a low power micro controller.
is it required complex algorithms or DSP Processing ?

how to process this sensor output signal

i have purchased this one
**broken link removed**

thanks in advance.

how to process this sensor output signal

i have purchased this one
**broken link removed**

thanks in advance.

The datasheet shows that the unit has an IF output. The output frequency of the IF will be proportional to speed of the object being measured. Unfortunately the datasheet doesnt give any info on what that would be.
You would have to connect the IF out to a frequency counter probably via a preamp and do some tests to get an idea of the range of the IF out frequency compared to the monitored object's speed

Dave

The formula listed is f = fo* [( C + Vr)/(C + Vs)], where C is wave velocity in medium, if free space @ 10.5 GHz would be close to 2.998E10 cm/sec, Vr is the velocity of receiver relative to medium, Vs is the transmitter velocity relative to medium.

The unit is a 'homodyne' receiver, basically just mixes the received signal with transmitted signal to yield the difference beat tone between the two.

So its beat frequency output will be 2 times 10.5 GHz times the absolute velocity relative to a fixed object / speed of light. The amplitude will be a function of the strength of the reflected signal. Metal objects will be stronger then a hand.

For example if you throw a ball of aluminum foil at the unit at 20 km per hour (555.56 cm/sec) you would get 2 * 10.5 GHz * (555.56 cm/sec) / (2.998 x 10^10 cm/sec) = 389 Hz tone output. Hook the output up to input of audio amp and throw alum foil balls at unit to hear the music it makes.

Thanks for that info RCinFLA :)

will have to store that somewhere for future use :)

Dave

finally i got it

HB100.PNG

Attachments

• HB100_Microwave_Sensor_Module_Datasheet.pdf
    868.1 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:

parallax X-Band Motion Detector

this sensor module built with HB100 microwave radar with some circuit [2khz PWM, lowpass amplifier,comparator]
does anyone know this circuit ?

**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

parallax X-Band Motion Detector

this sensor module built with HB100 microwave radar with some circuit [2khz PWM, lowpass amplifier,comparator]
does anyone know this circuit ?

**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

do you have the circuit for signal conditioning and amplifier ?
ADC and op amp ?

microwave radar circuit

Attachments

• HB100_microwave_.doc
    302 KB · Views: 208

20 km per hour389 Hz tone output and then converter: frequency to DC.

Jestin do you know how to make the Microwave doppler sensor output to detect speed?
I badly need it for my research. thanks in advance.

you need to amplify the IF out. It will be an analog signal, below 1 MHz. Use a good op amp. Then you need to figure out its frequency. If there are multiple targets, you will want some sort of DSP processor to measure the frequencies of the various tones in the IF, and figure out which one is the target's that you desire.

If you do not care about clutter, u could just assume the highest frequency tone is your targets, and do some analog or digital processing to get its frequency (like a frequency to voltage detector, lumped element frequency discriminator, frequency counter, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back