Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] speed control of brushed dc electric motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dxtr

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hey everyone
i'm working on a small project , its about controlling speed of a brushed dc motor using 4 quadrant chopper ,
what i don't understand is how to control the speed of the motor when its acting like a generator (the shaft of a DC motor is turned by an external force).

This is an unusual requirement - what exactly are you trying to do ? A little more detail about the objectives might help in getting a correct solution.

Hey everyone
i'm working on a small project , its about controlling speed of a brushed dc motor using 4 quadrant chopper ,
what i don't understand is how to control the speed of the motor when its acting like a generator (the shaft of a DC motor is turned by an external force).

When you use this device by supplying electricity to + and - it act as motor, you can use H-bridge to control motor.

As generator you will regulate speed over pulley ratio and input rotating speed. See principe of dynamo.

Reactions: dxtr

dxtr

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
As generator you will regulate speed over pulley ratio and input rotating speed. See principe of dynamo.
you mean i'm going to regulate the speed of the external force ?

If you actually apply an external torque rather than drive the motor with fixed speed, there's no principle difference between motoric and generatoric mode. You control the speed by setting the motor voltage. That's what every motor inverter or DC chopper involving recuperation does, in so far I don't think it's unusual.

Reactions: dxtr and FvM

FvM

dxtr

The statement in AN905 is valid for all four quadrants:
The speed of a BDC motor is proportional to the voltage applied to the motor.
In a H-bridge the voltage is set by the PWM duty cycle. But this does only work with a correct PWM modulation scheme involving synchronous switching. Some "poor mans" PWM schemes found in DIY projects don't work in generatoric mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.