Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Spectres vs Spectre simulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

jordan76

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
spectre simulator

Hi

I use Hspice before,but know few about the differences between Spectres vs Spectre simulator. Could anyone explain some details to me?
Thanks in advance.

regards,
jordan76

hspice vs spectre

I am not too sure what else is the major difference but the following is one big difference....and by the way spectre and spectre simulator!!!...they are the same...

I am talking about diff. bet. hspice and spectre

HSpice simulator:-
Treats the circuit as a Linear Time Invariant system always....so if u simulate something like an oscillator and plaot the spectrum of the output oscillating wave, u will not be able to see the phase conversion effects and all...I mean the spectrum of the oscillation will not have the additional noise added due to something like the flicker noise upconversion...so basically HSpice is just a matrix solver type of simulator...IT MODELS ALL CIRCUITS AS LTI.

Spectre simulator:-
This one models the circuit in the most general way....I am not too sure about the exact gory details......but....if u have used spectre...it is basically HSpice but with the capability and options to allow you to set frequency conversion effects in the circuit....please read this so that you can understand how the frequency conversion effects will be "INCLUDED MANUALLY" WHEN U SPECIFICALLY ASK Spectre to look for such frequency conversion effects between two ports....I cannot empasize this in any more detail....but the manual for spectre that comes with Cadence illustrates this concept and the difference u ask for very beautifully....

**broken link removed**

Happy learning!!
:eek:

spectres vs spectre

I think jordan76 was asking about the difference between Spectre and Spectre^S^.. Personally I used Spectre and have no clue what SpectreS is about (I think it uses some other model format, maybe like HSPICE but I am REALLY not sure).. If you really want to know about SpectreS - search in you ICxx documentation for details

spectres simulator

SpectreS is the netlist format for spectre which use Spice compatible syntax. A spectre netlist allows via a language switch the mixture of spectre native and spice syntax. SpectreS is not further supported!

jordan76

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
spectre vs spectres

SpectreS is the earilier edit,I think.It is not so convenient as Spectre.

spectre s

Here is a ppt about comparation of several simulation tools include spice hspice spectre spectreS.

spectre vs hspice

The 1s vs. 3s for the same simulator but a different socket is possible testing the netlister and not the simulator. The ppt is weak in that there is no differentiation between simulation, netlist time, backcannotation time and waveform display time. There is no simulation time result for HSpice. A comparison with cdsSpice is not of big value because this engine is of very rare use. It is based on old spice implementation algorithms. So do not spend points!

spectre or spectres

I had been a silent follower. Recently I simulated my current reference in NGSPICE. Has anyone worked on it? The result was very near to what I expected. Now, I tried the same circuit in SpectreS. It gave completely different answer (not even close by 20%, more than 250%). What the heck is the problem? I have seen that both the circuits are SAME. Same voltage excitations.
Reply.. Thanks in advance.
srivatsan

spectres simulation

srivatsan said:
I had been a silent follower. Recently I simulated my current reference in NGSPICE. Has anyone worked on it? The result was very near to what I expected. Now, I tried the same circuit in SpectreS. It gave completely different answer (not even close by 20%, more than 250%). What the heck is the problem? I have seen that both the circuits are SAME. Same voltage excitations.
Reply.. Thanks in advance.
srivatsan

It is possible that different simulators come out different results. One reason is that the default options that control the behavior of simulator can be quite different.

spectres spectre

Is there any way to check on the default settings? I have no idea about it ?
Thanks.
srivatsan

cadence spectre vs spectres

^^
Same thing happened wid me!

spectre spectres

I simulated the circuits of simple nand and nor gates in CADENCE and they are depicting different behavious on pulses than their usual output!

IS IT DUE TO TRANSISTOR SIZING??

I SIMULATEED D SAME CIRCUIT IN VHDL & IT WRKED FINE..... BT ITS NT WRKIN IN SCHEMATIC WHEN I DID IT ON TRANSISTOR LEVEL!

Status
Not open for further replies.