Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Spectre slows down when Linux kjournald process is active.

Status
Not open for further replies.

willyboy19

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
linux kjournald

When running Spectre under Linux 7.3, I found that when the simulation is large, the 'kjournald' process starts to take over 70% of CPU time, which siginficantly slows down the actual simulation. I can not kill it even trying as root.

Can anyone tell me what is this process doing and how to avoid/kill it so that the simulation can run 4x faster?

linux kjournald process

Thats the EXT3 filesystem journelling daemon. May be your simulation tries to write things in disk and access them immedately. So may be you can change the filesystem from EXT3 to EXT2. But it will increase the probility of file corruption on power failure.

Also check whether your disk is using DMA modes. UDMA will be better. If not try to upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.