Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Specification Antenna for Medical Implant

Status
Not open for further replies.

twonky

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi all..anybody know what is the specification to design microstrip patch antenna for medical implant interm of bandwidth, gain and so on.

thanks for the info. it is possible if i want to design at 30GHz?

At 30 GHz, any antenna inside of a living tissue would not work. The complex permittivity and a high loss will highly attenuate any "radiated" power. You can start with a salty-water "tissue phantom" to see the results.
As well as a tissue, salty water has the permittivity of ~ 80, so your antenna size will have to be reduced by a square root of it, or, ~9 times. In air, at 30 GHz, the wavelength is 10 mm, so your antenna will be ~1.1 mm long.

I guess any leakage from the equipment around will mask any signal that could propagate from this tissue-embedded antenna. BTW, how can you generate a 30GHz signal in the tissue?

I think this guy has no experience with super high frequency electronics. :)

at 30 GHz (milimeter wave) the size of the antenna is small. that why i try to design at this range of frequency but u a right i don't have any experience in high frequency. i try to search any journal from internet but cannot get much info about medical implant at this frequency.

The complex permittivity and a high loss will highly attenuate any "radiated" power. You can start with a salty-water "tissue phantom" to see the results.

Absolutely. But this is also true for 2.45GHz.

As well as a tissue, salty water has the permittivity of ~ 80, so your antenna size will have to be reduced by a square root of it, or, ~9 times. In air, at 30 GHz, the wavelength is 10 mm, so your antenna will be ~1.1 mm long.

That might actually be nice for system on chip. Small implant seems fine.

BTW, how can you generate a 30GHz signal in the tissue?

That would be simple with a single chip, if you have some idea how to power that.

30GHz or 77GHz systems are no problem on chip today. No need for hollow waveguides.

thank you very much yura717 and volker. i'm very appreciate it. i already design a microstrip rectangular patch antenna at 30 GHz and manage to get a return loss result base on transmission line model. the size of the antenna same like your flickr photo. the problem is which connector are suitable to attach to the patch.

The reason I explained above. Frequencies > 6 GHz cannot effectively propagate from the tissue out. The tissue is VERY lossy. Check google for Alabaster, Ph.D. thesis on Microwave measurement of tissue parameters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back