Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Spark in trafo output

Status
Not open for further replies.

caringin

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I need help using trafo. I use trafo 1 A, 18 V. After I unplug the cable from 220 V AC, there is still DC voltage output from the rectifier section. I must short circuit the capacitor to empty the capactior. Do you know why? It is very dangerous, I guess, you know the result when you short circuit 18 V DC, the spark. I use 1000uF 25V capacitor and diode bridge. How to fix it? What part should I substitute?

It is pretty normal that the smooting capacitor retains some charge for some time after AC is switched off ..
If you would like to discharge it connect a resistor of, say, 10kΩ to 100kΩ, or whatever you need, in parallel with the cap, and after a couple of seconds the charge will be gone ..

Regards,
IanP

caringin

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.