Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

some suggestions for an RF PCB

Status
Not open for further replies.

kalbun

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am currently designing my first RF PCB (well, not the first exactly, let say the first serious RF PCB).
I would like to ask a couple of suggestions.

1) The antenna path is 50 Ohm. According to microstrip calculation, the trace should be 3mm width for a standard FR-4 PCB with 1.6mm height, but only 1.45mm is the PCB height is reduced to 0.8mm.
So I plan to use a 0.8mm PCB, this should also reduce VIA parasitic inductance and capacitance.
In your experience, is this a good choice? Are there drawbacks?

2) Looking at other PCBs, I noticed that VIAs are always put very near to the pad, but not inside. For room reasons, I plan to put VIAs inside the pad. Again, is that a good choice? If not, why?
I am talking about VIAs that connect pads to ground plane.

3) I would like to use PCB coils for the filters, but currently I only found formulas valid if there is no ground plane below the coil. Does anyone can point me to more general formulas?

Thanks

kalbun

1) It is a good choiche. To further reduce line width in FR4 you can use coplanar with ground instead of microstrip.
2) Via under pad are commonly avoided because solder goes insed the via and the solder joint can fail. If you are doing some prototype, use them, for production it's better to avoid.
3) Do you mean printed inductors in FR4? Not a good choice, as you'll have a large area (respect to lumped inductors), low Q (for dielectric losses) and not a great accuracy in inductor value (if you use simple formulas, an EM simulator is needed).

I hope it can help.

Mazz

p.s.: if you need some other suggestion, show some PCB image

Reactions: kalbun

kalbun

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thank you for your comments. I noted that PCB inductors tend to be quite big, I designed some coils as big as 3500 um diameter... but I need some weird inductance values for the filters, and I would like to avoid wire wounded inductors - which possibly also have a low Q.
Thank you for the suggestions about coplanars and VIAs. I am indeed designing the first prototype and we plan to build it by hand, so I can keep them under pads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back