Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Some RS485 questions (shielding, filtering etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cupoftea

Advanced Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
Do you know of any common mode chokes for RS485 lines?
I cant find any, but assume a USB2.0 common mode choke would do?
Also, are RS485 cables always shielded?

As per bottom of page 10 of the following, why do RS485 shields (in cables) need to be directly connected to ground at one end, but connected to ground via an RC network at the other end?.....this sort of connection isnt recomended for any other signals/voltage rails in cables?

Hi,
As per bottom of page 10 of the following, why do RS485 shields (in cables) need to be directly connected to ground at one end, but connected to ground via an RC network at the other end?.....this sort of connection isnt recomended for any other signals/voltage rails in cables?
all the explanation is given in the according section.

I don´t want to copy and paste it here.

(added) But this is not only true for RS-485. It´s true generally for differential signalling without dedicated DC-blocking and biasing of the receiver side.

Klaus

added:
We use WÜRTH (Wurth / Wuerth) common mode chokes: 744 231 371 for RS-485 interfaces.

Last edited:
Thanks, thats a nice small common mode choke, though i wonder if the interwinding capacitance may thus be too great or something?...(though admittedly probably not as USB2.0 CM chokes are even smaller)

When i went to Wurth...

..the smallest RS485 CM choke i could find was 6 by 3mm....this one..

Status
Not open for further replies.