Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Some questions related to Vfd ( used for controlling induction motor speed) .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatima Ali

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i have some questions related to VFD ( variable frequency drive ) used for controlling the speed of induction motor .I would be thankful for your answers . My questions are following .
1) Can VFD provide smooth control of induction motor speed ?
2) How does it avoids high in rush starting currents of the induction motors ?
3) What is the function of using a microcontroller connected with the inverter ? Is it used for generating pwm ? if yes than how generated pwm controls the inverter's output ?
Kindly explain it to me based on concepts of power electronics and electronics engineering . thanks

1. Yes
2. VFDs have got a proper ramp up to full power, so you can accelarate your motor over a wide time, say fro .5 -100 Seconds - useful for conveyor belts.
3. Because VFDs have many functions built in, they need a processor to get them, such as : speed control, max current, current ramp up time, current ramp down, emergency stop, jog, max torque, max speed, and a readout of all these parametres most which can be controlled remotely. Read a hand book for one, search on Google, there are loads of them out there.
I would think that the PWM is actually generated in a separate chip which is then divided in frequency to the output frequency and to provide the three outputs which would then be accurately phase locked.
Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.