Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Some questions about stepper motors

Status
Not open for further replies.

zanor

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
stepper motor overheating

I'm trying to use a stepper motor for my first time. I have managed to get it spinning using a 16f84a.
But it is getting quite hot, is that normal?
And what is the correct way to apply hold torque?

12v motor hold position without getting hot

Hi,

Assuming there is no physical load on the motor, then it should not get hot.

Sounds like something is wrong with the control.

You need to post your code and schematic - a picture of the motor might help.

overheating stepper motor

There could be one more possibility of over heating of the Stepper motor, that is, the power supply to the motor is higher than the rated value or the sequencinng process does not comply with the logic necessary to run the moter, this may happen to one of the windings as the motor is running. I experineced similar problem while using a 12V adapter to source the stepper motor, it was supplying nearly 19 volts rather than the rated 12V (this is approx full load rating, under lower load conditions higher voltages appear unless it is regulated).

steper motors+overheating

Another reason of over heating of stepper motor is that if u run the motor very slow ie dead slow,

stepper motor hold

Getting "quite hot" doesn't mean overheating. If you operate a stepper continuously at rated current, it may get hot.

Typically, stepper motors with unipolar winding scheme are operated with constant voltage and bipolar motors with constant current. Both types are carrying full current at low and medium speed and thus have almost speed independant losses.

To hold the motor position at reduced torque respectively reduced losses, the motor can be driven by a lower current.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back