Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Some basic questions about floorplanning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everybody,

Please, can anybody tell me:

1- Where floorplanning step is placed in the design flow ?
2- What is the percentage of time taken by this task in the ICs design ?
3- What CAD tools are used for this purpuse and what is their entries files ?
4- According to what paramerter floorplan is determined ?
5- How to find the best floorplan ?
6- Can you refert me to a practical book on floorplanning ?

I'll be very thankfull if you upload also material on this issue.

Thanks a lot.

Regards,
Master_PicEngineer

Re: FLOORPLANNING

1- Where floorplanning step is placed in the design flow ?
In general, the Floorplanning will be after the RTL Synthesised and befor the Placement.

2- What is the percentage of time taken by this task in the ICs design ?
For the PD, the Floorplanning will spend about 15~20% effort. In the whole IC design flow, it should be much less than this.

3- What CAD tools are used for this purpuse and what is their entries files ?
There are some dedicate tools used for Floorplanning, depends on the flow selected by yourself. The entry files will be: Die Size (Estimated), IO Ring, Marco cells, Clock and Power Informations, ... It depends on the detail tool.

Anyone else can give the detail?

4- According to what paramerter floorplan is determined ?
The major information should be: Die Size (Estimated), IO Ring, Marco cells, Clock and Power Informations

5- How to find the best floorplan ?
In general, this is a process of Trade-off. There is bad floorplan, but hard to say best ones.

6- Can you refert me to a practical book on floorplanning ?
Why not read the related tutorials?

the more time you spend in floor plan the less time you may require in later stages...... the reason is modern day SoCs have several IPs and very large in gate count. As said in Synopsys manual (or tutorial) there is no standard "good" or "bad" floorplanning strategies...... it all depends on design tradeoffs and experience of the designer. But even then there are some basic rules which can be followed like "thousand island structure" (i.e IPs are distributed over the core area), Craters Methos (i.e. IPs are concentrated at the corner of core area) and so on...

i request the designers to share their experience in floorplanning of SoC...this would be a great discussion.

I recommend a very important book for this topic and for the whole ASIC flow in general: Advanced ASIC Chip Synthesis Using Synopsys® Design Compiler® Physical Compiler® and PrimeTime®...it's here on the forum :) it's a must read...i'm still reading in it!

yaa....you are right.... that book from Himanshu Bhatnagar is very good introduction to ASIC design and implementation using Synopsys tool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back