Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

some advice please on mains and vacuum tubes

Status
Not open for further replies.

shoe

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
http://www.r-type.org/pdfs/6sl7gt.pdf

These are the tubes I have,
stated voltage is 250v. Mains here in the UK is 240v,
and i'm not sure about plugging something which I have
wired-up myself into the mains. I'd do a 12V adapter
but obviously this tube is designed to work at a high voltage.

I also have the 6BA6, which is 6.3v ... safer option?
Im looking to build an analog distortion box to be used
as a send effect; amplification is secondary.

Some general guidance would be appreciated :) Thanks!!!

Yes, that's a valve (or tube if you prefer) but you don't just plug it in the mains! You need a circuit diagram for what you want to do. At the very least it will contain a mains transformer, rectifier and smoothing capacitor. The 6.3V you mention is most likely the heater voltage. Most valves work at 100V+.

You might find more music specific valve related stuff on forums on musicrader.com - the main UK based magazine site. There are some good valve guys on there such as ECC83.

Keith

Thanks very much Keith,
I do have something planned for the circuit, I just have to get over my fear of high voltages first :S

It is always fun to look at tube datasheets. The Id-Vds curves are so crappy compared to mosfets!

Anyway, That 250V does not mean the mains voltage, which is AC. You need a DC voltage of 250V, and a slug of other components to get that voltage back down to something useful around 5V.

Could be fun though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back