Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Solutions for detecting number of people entering a room

Status
Not open for further replies.

kad

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am planning to do a project that includes counting the number of people entering a room. I'm having trouble as to how to count the number . Can I use a weight detector and a counter ? If so, could someone please provide me with the schematic of weight detector.
Also can I use Piezo electric material to generate a voltage of 5V everytime a person steps on it and where can I procure the piezo electric material from?
Please help...

Re: weight detector

Narrow the entry and allow one person at a time ..
Any other solutions will not work accurately ..
Regards,
IanP

Hi

You can use pressure sensor as a simple weight detector

Go to www.freescale.com there are many app note describing the use of pressure sensor

All the best

Bobi

use a microcontroller and a pair of led transmitter and receiver. U can get a led transmitter from a tv remote controller.

Put the led transmitter and receiver to the entrance. The transmitter will provide infrared light to the receiver. When the light obstcaled by a person entering the room the counter will count this

uk said:
use a microcontroller and a pair of led transmitter and receiver. U can get a led transmitter from a tv remote controller.

Put the led transmitter and receiver to the entrance. The transmitter will provide infrared light to the receiver. When the light obstcaled by a person entering the room the counter will count this

I agree to this opinion, it is really more accurate.
To increase it's precision you may consider making them 2 light beams placed after one another.
This way you may count the people entering the room and people leaving it which will avoid confusion.
It worked with me just fine.

You may use two pairs of prox sensors. Use a prox with reflector cause it is cheaper than the receiver and transmitter types.

You have to place two prox on the same line.

When a person enters the room first prox will activeted so you know that someone enters the room and increase the counter. When someone quit from room the other prox will activated then you have to decrease the counter. I made a project like this. You may use pic for this but you can make with TTL 's too.

I hope this info will help you..For more info microcozmoz@yahoo.com

To increase it's precision you may consider making them 2 light beams placed after one another.
This way you may count the people entering the room and people leaving it which will avoid confusion.
It worked with me just fine.
Can you explain how do we generate 2 light beams simultaneously to count the number of people entering and leaving the room?
Is it by having 2 light beams of different frequency or wavelength ?
Also how to subtract the number of people leaving simultaneously?
Also can you send the schematic if possible as you said it worked with you .

Well let's take it step by step:

1- You will use Laser beams instead of the usual infrared or light beams used normally, this will increase your directivity for the purpose we are dealing with.

2-Both Laser beams used will be identical "for simplicity" therefore we will have to separate them by a distance.

3- Now if a person enters your room he will pass by beam 1 then beam 2, if he leaves it then he will pass through beam 2 then beam 1. This way you can always detect correctly how many persons are inside the room.

Notice that you have an error in this circuit as we assumed that only one person will enter or leave at a time.

I'll try to find ya a schematic diagram to make things simpler.

Regards

Well let's take it step by step:

1- You will use Laser beams instead of the usual infrared or light beams used normally, this will increase your directivity for the purpose we are dealing with.

2-Both Laser beams used will be identical "for simplicity" therefore we will have to separate them by a distance.

3- Now if a person enters your room he will pass by beam 1 then beam 2, if he leaves it then he will pass through beam 2 then beam 1. This way you can always detect correctly how many persons are inside the room.

Notice that you have an error in this circuit as we assumed that only one person will enter or leave at a time.

I'll try to find ya a schematic diagram to make things simpler.

Regards

if u have schematic diagram please post here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back