Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[General] Solution tank level detection

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryFos

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
So I know that there are several ways to read the level of a tank containing liquid here on this site, I can easily find one which is great. My question here is that I live on a well that I use a solution tank to treat the water before it gets used. Pretty simple setup , water enters the building from the well, as water is sent to the faucet it goes into a pressurized tank .As it enters the tank it is conditioned using chlorine to the tune of 5 to 1 ratio 5 water to 1 chlorine ,I would like to monitor it wirelessly and have it send message as to its level . If the level get to a point where it requires more solution it should send a text message , what would be a good way using a Mini D1 ESP12 F ? What could I use as the actual sensor in the tank? Prefer not to have to use a ultra sonic device if possible. Thanks

Solution
We had a well with storage tank in a basement. (Pressurized) In humid air condensation developed on the outside giving a clue to water level inside. This suggests temperature difference might be a useful indicator for your purposes.

There's a gauge resembling tape the height of a propane tank to indicate level. An ad states it responds to temperature.
You can do capacitive level sensing. Note ADC on ESP12 pretty poor so
keep that in mind.

Regards, Dana.

Last edited:

5:1 water to chlorine?
I use a dilution of 1 part per million. What on Earth are you using the solution for?

Brian.
Very common with a well to sanitize the water that comes from the well in these parts. The water comes from the well and gets a percentage of the solution before it goes into the contact tank then it goes through a carbon filter before it goes into the softener for consumption.

Hi,

what material is the tank made of? Is it electrical conductive? As @danadakk mentionet, a capacitive approach can be implemented quite easily especially when the tank is electically non-conductive. Here of course the size/dimensions of your tank matters, and has an impact on your actual electrode size. Analog devices offers a veraity of so called Capacitance to Digital Converters [1], and the elaborate their usage for level sensing in a non-invasive (outside the tank) [2] and invasive (inside the tank) [3] way. I used several of those chips for other kinds of capacitve sensing tasks, they are quite versatile usable.

Water has a relative permittivity of about 90, so a capacitive electrode topology and its capacitve readings can be modulated quite good.

If the level get to a point where it requires more solution it should send a text message ....

You are concerned about the level in the tank only, is that correct? You are not interested in the actual mixing ratio of the solution inside the tank?

[1] https://www.analog.com/en/parametricsearch/10889#/
[2] https://www.analog.com/en/analog-di...-digital-converter-technology-healthcare.html
[3] https://www.analog.com/en/analog-dialogue/articles/liquid-level-sensing-using-cdcs.html

BR

We had a well with storage tank in a basement. (Pressurized) In humid air condensation developed on the outside giving a clue to water level inside. This suggests temperature difference might be a useful indicator for your purposes.

There's a gauge resembling tape the height of a propane tank to indicate level. An ad states it responds to temperature.

Solution
Hi,

What do you really want to achieve? And with what accuracy and prevision?

You talk about 5:1 ratio. Is it to maintain this ratio?
If so: is it a mass ratio or volume ratio? --> choose the correct mass (flow) sensor volume (flow) sensor.

If it's not the "5:1 ratio", then this information is redundant
So what do you need then? To maintain the level in the tank or the pressure?
Do you need just the digital information "above/below level"?
...or do you really need the (linear) information of pressure/level value? Why? What accuracy and precision?
--> choose the correct sensor according this requirements

Klaus

Mine uses BMP280 or similar Altitude sensor as the level detector for my wireless float switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.