Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

solution of skin depth effect in HFSS

Status
Not open for further replies.

tw20053010

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hfss metal conductivity

Dear Sir,

I am doing a circuit simulation by HFSS. This circuit is working at 1 GHz. It is known that the skin depth at that frequency is almost 2 um. Therefore, usually I need the metal thickness to be 6 um. But the simulation results of the circuit with 0.2 um metal thickness and 1 um metal thickness are almost no different. Could you tell me why that happened? and How can I deal with that, should I add some additional skin depth mesh on the face of metal?
Thank you very much!

Regards,

wei

hfss skin

Did you ever read the HFSS manual? Maybe you can find solution in it

tw20053010

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
lossy conductors in hfss

I have already read the manual of the HFSS. But I didnot find the information about the solution of the skin depth. Now, I add the solve inside of all the metal in the simulation,and some loss has been demonstrated in the results. But I am not sure is the way right?

metal thickness versus skin depth

Hi tw20053010 !

To simulate how much losses you'll have in your structure, you don't need to solve the field inside the skin layer.

You can do it later in postproc by integrating tangential surface H-field for example. Or you can define conductivity on your surface.

"In HFSS, finite conductivity boundaries represent imperfect conductors. At such boundaries, the following condition holds:

E_tan = Z(n x H_tan), where Z is surface impeadance

The fact that the E-field has a tangential component at the surface of imperfect conductors simulates the case in which the surface is lossy."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back