Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Solution for reducing voltage from 5V to 3-4 volts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Reducing voltage from 5V to 3-4 volts.

Hey people!
Thanks for the replies!
I will check your advices and return with questions, in case they will pop up!

Peter -
Sorry!
My mistake!

Here are the servos that i must use, because of weight limits of my application, which causes all the trouble of finding how to drop down the voltage:

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking...0_075kg.html?gclid=CLLh96aV87kCFYm_3godl3gAhw

**broken link removed**

Regarding the current of LiPo, sorry, again my mistake, yes now i recall that i should multiply the C rating by the mAh.

My question is: when connecting a diode this way, does the rule that says that current (in contrast to voltage), is something that is drawn from the servo side and not 'pushed' towards the servo, does this rule still apply in this diode case? so if a diode is rated 1A, the servo will not be able to draw more than 1A, but no damage will occur to the diode, even if it is a 1000mAh X 20C LiPo?

The question also comes up, in light of the fact, that i did check the 2X 1N4004 (1A,400V) diodes setup, that did reduce the voltage, from 5.0V to 4.06V, while using a 3S 11.1V 1000mAh X 20C LiPo - and nothing was 'fried', or even heated up...was that just a matter of time, before that would happen?

Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey ard,

A question has already popped up! Peter, you opinion would help as well!

For example, the following component:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-5V-to-3...731?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item417060fd4b

It says: " output: 3.3 V, 800 mA (load current can't more than 800 mA) "

This means, that by NO means, i can connect on the other side of this component, a LiPo, that is, say, 1000mAh X 20C ??

Thanks.

Hey kam1787!

As mentioned above, this is not clear to me...i know very little about electronics, and from that little amount of knowledge gathered here, i concluded, that current is somthing that is 'drawn' by the servo and not 'pushed' towards it (like voltage is?) - so how come, you talk in terms of a current, that can 'fry' the component? This might be too complicated for me to understand...please try to make the explanation as simple as possible....

Thanks.

Last edited:

1N4004 diode support maximum 400V and 1A of current, these are limits of this particular diode. If you need to use more than 1A you need stronger diode.

Your servo will never reach 1A of current.

Use just one diode to lower voltage from 5V.

Criteria "lowest weight as possible" is still valid ?

Best regards,
Peter

It says: " output: 3.3 V, 800 mA (load current can't more than 800 mA) "

This means, that by NO means, i can connect on the other side of this component, a LiPo, that is, say, 1000mAh X 20C ??

Thanks.

No, that is not correct. Your input power source can be rated for anything more than what your load is expected to consume. However, in this case, the maximum output current (supplied by the LDO) is 800 mA.

From the figures you have provided, I think its unlikely the servo, even under normal load, would consume more than 800 mA.

So, I think the 1000 mAh LiPo and the LDO module would wrok happily together.

Regards,

Anand

Thanks people!

I think i have now a few good options, how to deal with the voltage issue - thanks to your replies!

And also, i have learned a few more things, which is great!

Thanks people!

I think i have now a few good options, how to deal with the voltage issue - thanks to your replies!

And also, i have learned a few more things, which is great!

If not secret, what you making, I mean where and for what you plan to use this motor ?

Best regards,
Peter

How about a simple 3.3v LDO? Available as a 3 pin SMD, so it cant get much lighter.

(just for you ... you know who you are :) )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back