Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Solonoid valve data needed for use with switching current regulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

eem2am

Banned
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

Here is a normally-closed solonoid valve (the 24VDC one) which i wish to use to keep open (or indeed closed) a pipe of water in a domestic household in UK..........

SOLONOID VALVE:
**broken link removed**

The rail voltage which i can use to actuate this valve is 36V.

i wish to use a current regulator to keep the solonoid current constant at 390mA (390mA = the stated nomimal current).

-the current regulator will simply comprise a series FET and freewheeling diode.

However, in order to properly design this current regulator, i need data which is unfortunately missing from the solonoid valve datasheet..........

-firstly, i absolutely need the saturation current level of the solonoid when the valve is fully actuated.
-also, i need the inductance value of the coil when the valve is fully actuated.
-also, i need to know the "actuation current level", i.e. that higher level of initial current that is needed to actually actuate the valve and move it open.

....my current regulator is an efficient switch mode type, and as you know, the current will have a rippling effect, and if i don't get the frequency high enough , my peak current could well saturate the solonoid.

So do you know how i can find:-

1. the saturation current level of the solonoid when fully actuated?
2. The inductance of the solonoid when fully actuated.?
3. also, i need to know the "actuation current level", i.e. that higher level of initial current that is needed to initially actually actuate the valve and move it open.?

Engineers are used to acquire the said data empirically.

I think you need a power supply, a function generator, a MOSFET as power switch, a diode and an oscilloscope.

1. The typical operating current is a well defined parameter in the datasheet 60Ohms+/-10%. Then there will be a temperature coefficient of 3900ppm/K.

2. The inductance you will have to measure.

3. You do not need to know the actuation current level. The 390mA is the maximum current limited by the solenoid's DC resistance (24V/60Ohms = 400mA). If the solenoid has already been activated you probably need <100mA to keep it open. This you can measure.

Here is a link to a datasheet for a clever part which may give you some ideas.
iC-Haus Homepage - product: iC-JE

Status
Not open for further replies.