Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Soldering station smokeing problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pexy

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hy guys i just bought today a new Velleman VTSS7 soldering station and when i turn it on it started smokeing realy badly and smells like burned plastic where the heating element connects to the handel. Is that normal?

Perhaps yes, but a conditional yes. New soldering iron may have some grease etc and that will burn and produce a little smoke. The heating element will perhaps also release some smoke (unless it is sealed element).

If it is smoking really badly and smelling like burnt plastic, just return it and ask for a full refund of the purchase price.

they often smoke big time when new.....i'm not saying they should, they just do....remember to tin the tip when you first turn it on to stop it oxidising...and don't wipe the tip clean before putting the iron back in the stand.....you need the tip to be covered with the "sludge" so that it doesn't oxidise when put back into the stand with the iron still on.....no matter how filthy the tip looks before you go to put it back in the stand, do not wipe the tip clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.