Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Soldering procedures for 8 layer boards

Status
Not open for further replies.

phanirajyalakshmi

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all!

Presently I'm designing a 8 layer board.

I wanna know abt soldering process.

Both Manual & Automatic Soldering techniques.

In Automatic Sodering,how the componets are placed? I mean which component is placed first(passive/active/IC).

My board includes SMD,THT & BGA also

How BGA soldering done?

Kindly clear my doubts.

Regards,
Lakshmi

Re: soldering procedures

Hi Lakshmi,

Soldering process usually use solder paste, it will print initially to your pcb using stencil to match the paste to your PCB land pattern, then components will be mounted using auto-machine. It will subject into reflow process (oven ranging 333deg and above) where the soldering occurs. On PCB assemble they usually put SMD's into the PCB as mentioned process, while other huge components are mounted and solder it manually. hope it helps.

Google the following:
solder paste printing process
pick and place
reflow
Read and get to understand the assembly process.
Then get familiar with the ipc specifications, the very basic IPC specs you should be familiar with are 2222-2226 and 6011 6012 610 and 600.
If you dont understand the fabrication and assembly processes involved with PCBs then you shouldn't be designing PCB's, sorry if that upsets people, but it the facts. You have to understand what is going to happen to a board and the assembly process and its limitations to design boards that are cost effective and manufacturable.

Hi x2pher

Thanks for ur valuable info.

I understood reflow soldering.

But in wave soldering, how r the components r placed on pcb?

Kindly help me in this regard as I'm designing PCB for the first time.

Regards,
Lakshmi

Wave soldering is used mainly for through hole components these days, so the pins in the holes will normaly hold the component. You can wave solder some SMD components, though it tends to be the older package styles, these you use a glue dot to glue the component down first. It is more common today to use selective soldering if you have mixed technology boards (http://cn.ersa.com/media/pdf/prospekte_kataloge/loetmaschinen/selektiv_prospekt_e_251007_web.pdf)
For through hole components they can be placed by hand or by machine.
http://www.tekmart.com/attachements/925_Radial_Universal_RAD_8XT.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back