Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Soldering Iron problem ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

boiler95

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I recently got a soldering Iron in view if soldering SMD devices. Its fine as a needle. However, I think there is a problem.

Its a 12V, 7.5 W Ac/Dc soldering iron. Came with no power supply. I'm using a 12V 1.5 Amp power source. when i touched the tip accidentally i got very mild shock. i measured the voltage between power supply ground and soldering tip. It measures ~10 V . Does it mean the soldering iron is bad? if i try to solder an IC with this, will that voltage destroy the IC ?

Please let me know.

It should be fine as the PSU ground should not be referenced to the circuit you are soldering.

I dout you really got a shock, you can only just about feel a tingle at 60V, prob just sharp tip or too hot.

Regards Chris

hi,

i also got a very mild shock when i touched the soldering iron. i was tinning the tip. Soldering iron gave the mild shock when the tip was in contact. Now how can i explain that :!:

Well if you really did get a shock then check the volts between the PSU + and - and a earth, maybe your power supply is faulty.
But the soldering iron should be fine, 12V wont give you a shock.

---------- Post added at 19:06 ---------- Previous post was at 19:05 ----------

when checking the PSU to earth remember to try both AC and DC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back