Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Solar Powered LED Circuit (with battery)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scalamoosh

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, I am wanting to create a 15xLED circuit powered by a solar panel. However, I am wanting the solar panel to charge a battery/capacitor (during the day) and power the LEDs (via a switch, not an LDR) at night.

I have looked around the internet, and found this page: https://www.evilmadscientist.com/article.php/solar
This page gives a few examples of schematics, but I have no idea how to step-up the circuits for a bigger battery, and a bigger solar panel.

Could anyone on here help me with the schematics for what I am wanting to create?

If you need any more information. please feel free to ask.

Technical Stuff:
LED: 15 x LEDs (Orange) with ratings of 30mA, 2.0-2.2V
Solar Panel: I do not have the exact output of the solar panel, as it was given to me from a friend, and there was no markings, or packaging with it. I have tested it with a multimeter though and the reading are: 18.2v and 0.34mA (display read 0.34 on setting 20mA DC).
NOTE: These reading were taken this morning, and it happens to be a very overcast day, so the readings would normally be higher, but this should give a rough guideline.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

you have roughly 6mw of output power on your panel... Try first to make a characterization of your panel ... Full sunlight at 12 hours heading south with sun rays perpendicular to your panel --> take V ; add different loads --> measure V an I

OK, I will try it tomorrow midday. What sort of load are you talking about? I haven't really got anything to wire up to it, until I have created the circuit. I thought testing it with just a multimeter would be OK?

OK, I have just re-tested the solar panel, on a sunny day, at 12 noon, facing south.

The readings are: 22v 69mA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back