Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Solar Lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

mosfet123

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi;

I have 30W 18V 1,6A solar panel and I have 12,8V 36Ah LiFePo4 battery. I want to use for lighting fixture (about 25W). is this solar panel enough for charging to battery ? and ıt should be work 3 days at cloudly days . Does anyone have an idea ? Finally is this system ok ?

Hi,

Calculate the energy you need for the light. (over 10 days) I gues it wont be on for 24/7...
Calacualte the (expected, but low) energy you get from the solar panel. (over 10 days). Search the internet, there will charts for expectable power for your region)
--> If you get less than you need: either change the solar panel or the light.

Calculate the energy you need for the light. (over 3 days)
Calacualte the (worst case) energy you get from the solar panel. (over 3 days)
--> the difference energy needs to be supplied by the battery.
--> calaculate Ah of Battery

Klaus

If we assume no charge for 3 cloudy days, the light, 25W has to work over at least 3 cloudy nights, say 12 hrs per night, this is 900 watt hours.

Say the battery is a 12.8V Li-ion, 900 watt / 12V = 75 amp hour minimum.

If you want a full recharge of the system on the next sunny day, again you need to input 900 W-hrs into the battery in say 8 sunny hours

thus the solar cell output needs to be 900 / 8 = 112.5 watts for 8 hours solid ( say 13V @ 8.7 amps )

To allow for inefficiencies in the system, provide for longer actual useable life of the system components, and the weather, it would pay to double these amounts, i.e. 12V 150 A-hr battery

and 2 x 150 watt solar panels. ( 13V @ 23 amps )

you're welcome ...

mosfet123

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

Kripton2035

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
I see. Thanks. I will use with motion sensor to %50 load for 8 hours at nights and 4 hours it will run full load 25W (2-8-2) I have calculated its will spend 600W in 3 days so i would need 12,8 V 46Ah , if I multiply to 2 I would need 12,8V 92Ah

600 watt-hours over 3 days, not 600W. What is the average battery volts from full to flat, these are the volts to use in the calcs.

Peak 14,6 , Undervoltage protection 10,8V , Undervoltage protection recovery 12V

Status
Not open for further replies.