Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] solar cell powering small radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

hansped

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hey cool forum you got here! :) I have a small experiment going on with a small radio which is powered by single 1.5 v aaa battery. I want to connect a small solar cell which has 4v and 30 MA in full sunlight it worked but now im worried. Can the 4 v damage the radio?

Hey cool forum you got here! :) I have a small experiment going on with a small radio which is powered by single 1.5 v aaa battery. I want to connect a small solar cell which has 4v and 30 MA in full sunlight it worked but now im worried. Can the 4 v damage the radio?

in a general case you cannot connect 4v.
if you know about the radio circuitry inside , then you can identify the range of voltage as min to max. the current miniature radios are usually ic based which have a range of voltages.

but , if you dont know about the circuit inside , then dont connect 4v directly but connect thro 3 diodes in series.

Hey thanks for the fast reply.
I can put 3 diods on the panel but why 3 diods? Is it ac voltage that is coming out of the solar panel or somthing?

The 3 diodes are to drop the voltage. Each diode has a forward voltage of approximately 0.7V. So, 3 X 0.7V = 2.1V. So, you drop about 2.1V and get about 1.9V output.

Hope this helps.
Tahmid.

wow you guys are amaizing thanks alot!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back