Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Software porting between different processors

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrinalmani

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi!
There is an OEM software intended for Beaglebone black. It is a bootable image file.
I want to use this software on a hardware system other than beaglebone black. (Probably by designing a PCB with a processor of my choice)
However, the software vendor says that to be used on a "different" hardware, the OS must be ported. They will charge for that.
My question is:
What is the meaning of "different hardware"?
If I use the same processor as beaglebone black, does it still make my hardware different?
What is it that the boot image file needs to check before installing? How does it differentiate one hardware from other?

Thank you!

What is the meaning of "different hardware"?
Probably a different processor architecture other than what is on the beaglebone black.

If I use the same processor as beaglebone black, does it still make my hardware different?
In principle if you are using the exact processor as is on the beaglebone black on your PCB, then the bootable image file should work.

A different Beaglebone line of board means different controller , though many of them are cortex -A8 based.

So it is necessary to port the OS to different HW and peripherals.

Thanks for the reply!
Does this mean I have the flexibility to use any ARM A8 processor?

You have the flexibility in choosing which ARM based controller.

You also have the the task of porting the OS to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back