Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Software Defined Radio Implementation on FPGA guidance

Status
Not open for further replies.

streetHawkk

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I would like to implement a simple Software Defined Radio on FPGA. I have bought Digilent Spartan 3E Starter Kit and have done simple projects on FPGA using this kit and so am familiar with the Xilinx ISE and VHDL. Could anyone please guide me on how to start with this project. Any good reference documents and tutorials to implement the software defined radio on fpga.

Thanks,
Hwk

Have you gone through USRP? If not just google "USRP" - it may be a good starting point.

To implement Software defined radio , actually there are many development platform available to implement . But as per my knowledge using Digilent Spartan 3E so can start some audio processing , base-band modulation etc . So you can start working on it .

Hi!

I'm not sure i really defined your concern but this is what i would say.
I think you should start by making some investigation on the hardware you are going to use for the physical layer of your project. I mean which relates to emission and/or reception function: physical encoding, modulation/demodulation, dealing with antennas... Maybe units are already available for this on your fpga board.
In other words, the first big thing is how to make a series of bits going into your fpga chip for processing. The implementation of this will influence the development of more "high level" stuffs of the project: those dedicated to tuning and all the things that may have escaped my mind. I think informations and links given by the E-mens above are precious help for this.
Hope that helps.

Hi arocklife ,

Thanks for your information . I have search some of the development platform for the Software defined radio, but most of them are costly , like USRP . Do you any idea of development platform for SDR with affordable price so that it's be good to practice like as you mention emission and/or reception :physical encoding /demodulation etc.

Thank
Gaurav

Status
Not open for further replies.