Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Soft On/Off switch for pic controlled application

Status
Not open for further replies.

Audette

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi Guys,

I have seen the soft on/off switch circuit given by the following link (schematic shown below).
https://www.picbasic.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=57

example-switch.jpg
I have been trying to implement the same solution for my application. I have a PCB which is PIC controlled and need a soft on/off switch. The mechanical switch I use is a toggle switch. I have had to change the pnp (Q1) with a P-fet due to the current required from the Vin line. The voltage at the input is 12V and the maximum current drawn can be around 2A.

In the implementation I have, when the toggle switch is turned off, the PIC will detect this and send a '0' to Q2. This initiates the circuit to turn off. However, the P-Fet output voltage reaches around 4V and then suddenly turns back on again. I tried to tie the gate of Q1 to ground using a resistor to make sure that the gate is turned off. But still no joy.

Can anyone tell me what I might be doing wrong please...

Thank you in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.