Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Sockets: Xilinx BGA to something I can solder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayson

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
edu+bga+package+how+solder

Are there any special (adapter) sockets that will convert the Xilinx BGA package on the XC2S600E to a PGA (that I can solder by hand) or a QFP, or something that has accessible leads to solder manually?

- Jayson

where can i get an adapter to convert bga to pga?

h**p://w*w.ironwoodelectronics.com/
h**p://w*w.advintcorp.com/
h**p://w*w.loranger.com/
h**p://w*w.advintcorp.com/bgastart.html
h**p://w*w.arieselec.com/products/LGA%20BGA.htm
h**p://w*w.methode.com/connector/bga.htm

These adapters are quite expensive from 500 to several 1000 euros, but they are good for prototyping. Also capacitive load and contact resistance will increase with the usage of such adapters, but if you are not pushing the limits with your design, it’s OK.

igorsat

Or you try to sold the BGA at home.
There is a german guy who did it with a electric iron and a hot air unit
The Webside is in german:
**broken link removed**

I don’t want to sound skeptical, but I don’t recommend you to sold BGAs at home. Even with the professional equipment it is sometimes very difficult to solder these bad boys correctly, especially if BGA has 900+ pins (balls).

igorsat

are there companies out there that will solder BGA for me? I give them my one BGA package, give them my PCB and tell them where to solder the BGA and they'll do it for me?

- Jayson

Of course they are. If you need to solder only one BGA, they will not be too happy, but you can tell them that this is just a test sample. If they have good equipment with high-resolution camera, they can just scan your PCB and manually enter BGA’s position. In that case you don’t need a P&P file.

can you give me the names of these companies?

Secondly, a bit off topic, but how much does a BGA soldering station cost? With camera and heat profiling? What the cheapest one out these that could do Xilinx FPGAs.

- Jayson

You should take a look for such companies in your country.
I honestly don’t know, how much the BGA soldering equipment costs, but the owner of the company, who is soldering BGAs told me that P&P machine (Siplace from Siemens) costs more than a new top of the line Mercedes.

igorsat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back