Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Snubber for igbt module FS50R06W1E3 - Infineon product -

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmx66

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I'm trying to add a snubber to this igbt and found useful formulas in a thesis.

For Cs = ( Io * Tfi) / (2 * Vd )

Io : average current ( rated current i guess ? )

Tfi : current fall time transistor ( in FS50 datasheet , same meaning as " fall time inductive load " ? )

Vd: bus voltage

Snubber resistor: Vd/Rs < Irr

Rs : snubber resistor
Irr : reverse recovery current of Free Wheeling Diode

So reading datasheet:

Tfi : ( fall time inductive load ) 0,10 µs to 0,14µs see characteristic values p 2
Irr : 70A see diode-inverter characteristic values peak reverse recovery current p 3

About my circuit:

Io bldc rated current about 4,7 A
Vd Vbus about 340 V

I found : Cs: 1nF and Rs > 4,85 Ohm

Rs choice: thin metal film on a high purity ceramic core, not wounded wire to avoid inductor
Power : 2 or 3 W

My choice:

- Capacitors ( thanks for your last advice, FvM, about Wima FKP )

WIMA|FKP2O111001I00JSSD|CAPACITOR, 1000PF, 1000V, 5% | Farnell United Kingdom

VISHAY BC COMPONENTS|BFC238580102|CAPACITOR, MKP, 1NF, 2000V, 5% | Farnell United Kingdom

EPCOS|B32652A2102K|CAPACITOR, 0.001UF, 2000V | Farnell United Kingdom

Resistors:

WELWYN|MFP2-10R JI|RESISTOR, 2W 5% 10R | Farnell United Kingdom

MULTICOMP|MOR03SJ0100A19|RESISTOR, 3W 5% 10R | Farnell United Kingdom

Are these maths, and components, right for the job?

Thanks a lot.

jm

Attachments

• These-Converter.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 123
  • DS_FS50R06W1E3_2_1.PDF
    2 MB · Views: 123

In my opinion, a correctly designed IGBT-H-bridge should need no RC snubbers. I hope I didn't lead you on a wrong track when mentioning snubber capacitors. I was referring to the capacitors that bypass the DC-bus-voltage directly at the IGBT-modules. Interestingly, the thesis comes to the conclusion, that no clear positive effect could be shown in simulation. The author placed a snubber anyway, because he doubted the simulation results.

Snubbers are of course a last resort, if a circuit can't be tamed otherwise.

Thanks again FvM.

So I must only add a capacitor to bypass DC bus ?

Like on a schematic i have seen with capacitors , between phase to phase? They were labelled X2 , but it was for 3 phases motor or inverter, it seems to me.

I'm going to "googling" again, to know right value for this capa.

You didn't lead me on a wrong way, but in many textbooks in internet - manufacturers also - snubbers are " mandatory ", for using igbt and power switches without frying them....

Thanks a lot.

jm

Attachments

• fuji_igbt_application_manual(REH984).pdf
    3.4 MB · Views: 111

I don't think that RC snubbers are mandatory for recent IGBT modules. They are reducing the overall efficiency and increasing the current load to the IGBTs.

Thanks a lot.

Without adding this snubber, board will be easier to build; and Infineon products are recent IGBT modules so no need ....

Really thanks for your clear advices.

jm

Close de-coupling using quality caps is pretty essential on a power switching bus, where you are driving inductive (motor) loads on long leads at lighter loadings you may see ringing between the rails when a bridge leg is OFF. If this ringing is able to propagate on long leads it may cause non-EMC compliance and is the usual reason you see snubbers used on commercial designs when driving inductive or motor loads on long leads.
Regards, Orson Cart

Last edited:
Reactions: jmx66

jmx66

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

Attachments

• igbt-Module-Infineon-FS50R12W2T4-1200x768.png
    igbt-Module-Infineon-FS50R12W2T4-1200x768.png
    18 KB · Views: 146

Just having capacitors across each device as you have drawn is not the usual way to go, capacitors from +ve to -ve are better so the current in the load has a local path when the devices turn off, don't forget to add some large electrolytics across the power rail also, snubbers are typically R&C across each device (say 1n0 and 470-ohm for starters) Regards, Orson Cart.

jmx66

Just having capacitors across each device as you have drawn is not the usual way to go
Absolutely, I didn't look at the schematic before. Additional capacitive load across the IGBTs will increase the switching losses and also cause additional transients at the DC bus.

jmx66

Hi,

Thanks a lot, for your helpful and pro advices, as usual.

jm

Hi,

I did an other sketch, is it right or wrong ?

"capacitors from +ve to -ve are better so the current in the load has a local path when the devices turn off, don't forget to add some large electrolytics across the power"

Capacitors data - WIMA FKP only-are false - higher than needed -, because i didn't get rid of previous text....

47 KOhm resistor is to discharge capacitances , when igbt is off.

Better choice to use resistor and capacitor, or only capacitor as told Orson Cart?

Thanks a lot.

jm

Attachments

• Resistors-Capacitors-for-igbt-Module-FS50R12W2T4-1280-960.png
    Resistors-Capacitors-for-igbt-Module-FS50R12W2T4-1280-960.png
    36.9 KB · Views: 103

C1, C2 across the gate drive are a bad idea, the big caps across the power rails can go anywhere, but close to the 3 half bridges, you may still need RC snubbers across the C-E of the igbt's depending on the load configuration, good luck...! Regards, Orson Cart.

jmx66

Status
Not open for further replies.