Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SNR issues in pipeline ADC

Status
Not open for further replies.

wdd

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi, all,

I had builded a pipelined ADC, with the first time simulation of
the whole circuit, the SNR is 47.8dB, SFDR=64dB.
which are worse for a 10bit ADC.

The sampling capacitor is 1pf in my circuit, and with the
simulation results of track-and-hold, I think the OTA doesn't
contribute to much noise.
So I don't know what's wrong with the circuit, or what's the
possible defects exist?

Best Regards.
wdd

SNR in pipeline ADC

Have you done the system simulation? You'd better do it to see the max snr you can get.

SNR in pipeline ADC

Pls, let us know about ur amplifire topology.. and some more circuit detail ....

Re: SNR in pipeline ADC

carlyou said:
Have you done the system simulation? You'd better do it to see the max snr you can get.

i havn't done that. but i think it's unnessary for pipeline ADC

Added after 17 minutes:

Shaber_Mezbah said:
Pls, let us know about ur amplifire topology.. and some more circuit detail ....

the amplifier used the telescopic architectrue with gain boost. the whole circuit contains a track-and-hold block(flip-around architecture), every stage outputs 1.5bits.

may i ask a question?
how to choose the values of switch on resistance, like the sampling switch and
the switch used in flip-around branch in the satges? the sampling frequency is 80M.

SNR in pipeline ADC

does you set the right option of simulation about the simulator? such as high precision and low step?

SNR in pipeline ADC

1st
1pf sample capacitor for a 10bit ADC is too small. Acording to limit of kt/C noise, the capacitor should be larger than 1.5pf, and this affect SNR a lot.
2nd
I don't know whether you use close-loop OTA or open-loop one, that is important for ENOB of ADCs.

Status
Not open for further replies.