Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SMT pattern advice needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmartens1978

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Can SMD patterns designed for wave soldering be sodered using reflow process?

Not true. Wave soldering was used a lot when surface mount was introduced. I seem to remember the pads were different. For wave they need to be oversized. For reflow they can be smaller than the component pad in some cases.

Keith

Not true. Wave soldering was used a lot when surface mount was introduced. I seem to remember the pads were different. For wave they need to be oversized. For reflow they can be smaller than the component pad in some cases.

Keith

Really, i'll take a look at that. thanks for the info.

Try and find some old device data sheets. I seem to remember they would give two land patterns depending on soldering method. Motorola and Philips discretes for example.

Keith

There is some info here: http://www.kemet.com/kemet/web/homepage/kfbk3.nsf/vaFeedbackFAQ/64F3744BFC060EE985256BCD004EBC13/$file/F2105A.pdf

Here is an AVX data sheet which gives wave and reflow land patterns.

Keith.

Attachments

• 16380.pdf
    308.5 KB · Views: 56
Thank you for you input, I greatly appreciate it.

I was looking at the Yageo 1206 resistor patterns. They had recommended a wave soldering pattern and reflow pattern for surface mount PCBs. Since my only knowledge was in through hole PCBs I needed wisdom from other designers on the world of surface mount PCBs.

Originally I had designed my PCB with the wavesoldering footprint and the I discovered that the Company that was going to assemble the PCBs uses reflow. So I was wondering if any one had actually put a PCB with the wave solder footprints through the relow process. How would the boards turn out???

Is the reflow process of soldering the new standard in the surface mount world??

I doubt anyone uses wave for surface mount any more (I may be proven wrong in a few seconds by someone!). I wouldn't expect any particular problems using wave footprints for reflow soldering, but the other way round would be a problem, I think.

Keith.

There is some info here: http://www.kemet.com/kemet/web/homepage/kfbk3.nsf/vaFeedbackFAQ/64F3744BFC060EE985256BCD004EBC13/$file/F2105A.pdf

Here is an AVX data sheet which gives wave and reflow land patterns.

Keith.

Thanks Keith, I just remember seeing like these before but I never used the wave soldering pattern.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back