Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

smps

Status
Not open for further replies.

aforak123

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I am trying to build a power supply for a 1 kW DC motor. I read somewhere that, as a rule, a device must always draw a sinusoidal current from the household supply, so it is required to build a phase correction circuit which always draws sinusoidal current. I am wondering whether all the electrical appliances we use such as a mobile charger, washing machine, TV, etc., really draw a sinusoidal current from the household supply. What about the SMPS we get in the market, does it also draw sinusoidal current? Please help.

Thankyou,
aforak

only if your power is >75w do you need a Power factor corrector stage. Usually a boost pfc.
Its just a boost converter which keeps v in phase with i.....you then run your regulation smps off its output.
Attached is an LTSPICE sim of a boost pfc battery charger.
Its in the free LTspice.
--- Updated ---

here is a free smps course which gives some folders on PFC

Attachments

• LT1248 PFC batt charge.zip
    2 KB · Views: 52
Last edited by a moderator:

aforak123

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
A lot don't - depends on the country of sale and how strict the regulatory authorities are in upholding standards in each country ...

Status
Not open for further replies.