Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SMPS Transformer winding bifiliar or center tap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theunis Prinsloo

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi guys

A newbie question

SMPS trans.jpg

need to wire this transformer, both primaries and both secondaries respectfully have the same number of windings, can I wind them bifiliar (simultaneously) or single wire with a center tap.

Thank you in advance for your quick reply - :-D

Theunis

Attachments

• SMPS trans.jpg
    SMPS trans.jpg
    669.4 KB · Views: 176

Hi pradeep.g.belchada

Can you please give me more details, on how the windings are done, (I did say I am newbie)

Thank you

Theunis

Hi pradeep.g.belchada

Thank you for the prompt feedback, I get the picture so you layer the different layers and insulate each layer properly, so there is no centre tapping, each winding/layer on its own,

SMPS trans1.jpg

I have added the turns into the above image that I calculated is necessary to achieve, the flowing
Vin (Nom) =11v
f= 50kHz
Vout= ±580v
EDT39 former

I would appreciate if you are willing to suggests how I wind the layers for this transformer,

thank you

Theunis:grin:

what i said is wind primary half then secondary half then primary full & finally secondary full join the wire for center tapping

Hi pradeep.g.belchada

Ok thanks I get that thank you very much.

the pri-winding do you wind them close to each other (side by side) or do you space then over the core/former width?

Does the number of turns look OK for me to achieve ±580v at the secondary.?

Theunis

the turns are winded on former width. it can be winded close to each other.
what is the dc voltage on your primary side
give me core size frequency of switching, o/p current required , wire gauge

Last edited:

Hi pradeep.g.belchada

Thank you for taking time to help me, I don't have all the information but I can give you what I have,

Input voltage is 12v dc,

I am not sure of the core size as I don't know the size of wire to use or the output currant required.

I have 1mm, 0.5mm, 0.36mm and 0.25 mm wire that I can use.

Maybe you can suggest were to start, I need ±525v (not critical) on the secondary output, to charge a capacitor of 2uF or 4uF, the capacitor will be discharged max at 300 Hz,

I have 2 cores/formers that I can use, ETD39 and ETD29,

The switching frequency will be ±47 Khz,

I am building Tahmid's SG3525 circuit to drive this and is almost finish with the PC board design.

https://tahmidmc.blogspot.com/2013/01/using-sg3525-pwm-controller-explanation.html

( I hope he does not mind me putting this link here)

Thank you very mutch for your advice.

Theunis

Hi guys

have wound the transformer as per pradeep.g.belchada recommendation, the sloppiness is my ten thumbs ( nothing to do with pradeep.g.belchada recommendation :grin: ) as this is my 3 rd try at it.

now I can test and see were I am with this.

PICT1087.jpg

2 Primaries = 3 turns each of (3 x .5 mm litz)

2 secondaries = 125 turns each of (2 x .35 mm litz)

Theunis

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back