Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SMPS topology 24v 10A (prefer simplicity, cost-effective, and high efficiency)

Status
Not open for further replies.

elec-engin

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi friends
which SMPS topology do you prefer for 250W (24v, 10A) considering about simplicity, cost-effective, and high efficiency ?

2 x interleaved flybacks is the lowest cost, with good dynamic performance - and can be made high efficiency with valley switching turn on and controlled mosfets in the output.

2 x interleaved flybacks is the lowest cost, with good dynamic performance - and can be made high efficiency with valley switching turn on and controlled mosfets in the output.
As you mentioned my friend, I have been confused a little about the maximum power rating that flyback topology can support. another spec that should notice is the universal AC main input. would you please explain more or introduce a good document about this topology and its designing method?

90 - 240Vac, or 85 - 275 Vac, really these important points should be in the 1st post - my company is designing just such a beastie for production very soon ....

Yes Easy Peasy can make you one as good as you could get (in fact better), than anywhere else in the world, but are you doing some hands on hobby work, or you want to buy?

...So anyway, you need to have a PFC stage......then the PSU below that....unless you have a rough spec and can just do two interleaved isolated PFC'd flybacks feeding into the same isolated output....its up to you.....if your output can manage the slow feedback loop of a pfc, or do you need the faster response of a fast PSU after the PFC stage?

90 - 240Vac, or 85 - 275 Vac, really these important points should be in the 1st post - my company is designing just such a beastie for production very soon ....
thanks my friend for your consideration. the main input is (90-240) Vac. I don't want to buy and I want to do a real project for myself to promote my design skill in SMPS cause my major is Electrical electronic engineering. i will appreciate your assistance.
--- Updated ---

Yes Easy Peasy can make you one as good as you could get (in fact better), than anywhere else in the world, but are you doing some hands on hobby work, or you want to buy?

...So anyway, you need to have a PFC stage......then the PSU below that....unless you have a rough spec and can just do two interleaved isolated PFC'd flybacks feeding into the same isolated output....its up to you.....if your output can manage the slow feedback loop of a pfc, or do you need the faster response of a fast PSU after the PFC stage?
I don't want to buy and I want to do a real project for myself to promote my design skill in SMPS cause my major is Electrical electronic engineering. i will appreciate your assistance.
exactly, the PFC stage is prominent for AC input voltage when the load is inductive too. Therefore, do you prefer the interleaved flyback?
do you know any document to introduce for me which can help to find out principles of designing this topology?

Last edited:

Here is the free SMPS course.
SMPS course_Big folders
https://drive.google.com/file/d/17ij_pQLkAzzYeL_TRNci86sXHMirKHmD/view?usp=sharing

SMPS course_little folders
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WvElhDNfHI0EBei4rouSNEdWWTO1oCtJ/view?usp=sharing

Or, if you want, Power integrations can do that design for you with a 2 transistor forward or LLC converter.....they may design it for you with their software....i bet if you wrtie to their forum, they probably have such a design for you, if you want.

Attached is a 2TF in LTspice which you can adjust to your spec if you want.

You say your load is "inductive"...is it a Motor? What is the load?

Youll need a PFC, so you could just pick a simple BCM PFC if you want...giv eyourself a 390v or so output...to feed to the 2TF..or dual flyback, whatever you choose......there is a fairchild chip which controls dual isolated flybacks in BCM if you want. (boundary conduction mode)

Attachments

• 200W Two transistor forward converter.zip
    2.9 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:

Here is the free SMPS course.
SMPS course_Big folders
https://drive.google.com/file/d/17ij_pQLkAzzYeL_TRNci86sXHMirKHmD/view?usp=sharing

SMPS course_little folders
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WvElhDNfHI0EBei4rouSNEdWWTO1oCtJ/view?usp=sharing

Or, if you want, Power integrations can do that design for you with a 2 transistor forward or LLC converter.....they may design it for you with their software....i bet if you wrtie to their forum, they probably have such a design for you, if you want.

Attached is a 2TF in LTspice which you can adjust to your spec if you want.

You say your load is "inductive"...is it a Motor? What is the load?

Youll need a PFC, so you could just pick a simple BCM PFC if you want...giv eyourself a 390v or so output...to feed to the 2TF..or dual flyback, whatever you choose......there is a fairchild chip which controls dual isolated flybacks in BCM if you want. (boundary conduction mode)
thanks a lot for the courses that were uploaded.
do you mean there is an application that can design a sample for me and it belongs to Power integrations?
yes, the load is a Motor.
I will look at the LTspice sample now...

yes here...is 2TF

App note
...in the App note , their is a design spreadsheet...you fill it in and it designs it for you..for some reason i cant yet find the spreadsheet on the site.

..their is a similar one for the pfc stage..here...

Try and look on the website for the design spreadsheets....so there woudl be one for your pfc stage,, and one for your 2TF stage.......it pretty much designs the whole thing for you

....OK found it....the thing is called "PI Expert Suite"...you have to download if from their website.....you fill in form...they send you email link .....you download...then you fill it in and it gives you your design.

OK, i managed to open the spreadsheet after downloading it.......so its there for you....i had to click no to PFC'd when i did the 2TF otherwise it gave me their "bridgeswitch" product.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.