Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SMPS simulation.....which sofware is best?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eem2am

Banned
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

This post is referring to SMPS simulation.

I work for a very large lighting company.

Our boss does not rate the LTSpice simulator. He is a technical boss , but he is not particularly "hands-on".

I have never seen him using a simulator.

He tells me that LTSpice is "Limited".....and i think he is referring to the fact that the PWM controllers are mostly linear.com parts.

This boss thinks that SIMetrix is better.

I notice that SIMetrix is available free from the diodes.com website, -but this version does not seem to have many PWM controller models in it at all.

Please can you tell me how LTSpice compares to other free simulators?
Also, if there is a simulator that you pay for that is superior to LTSpice for SMPS simulation, please can you name it and say why it is better than LTSpice.?

Yes, LTspice is crude and limited. However, it gives you a good range of switcher models which linear technology don't make available in 'naked' Spice. Most other manufacturers don't supply Spice models for switchers. SIMetrix also do some switcher version (SIMplis?) but I don't know anything about it. If you cannot get models then it will be no use, but it might be worth a look.

Keith

Status
Not open for further replies.