Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

smith chart S11 characteristics

Status
Not open for further replies.

fazlina

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I want to simulate a simple microstrip transmission line with length = 20 µm and width = 0.3 µm on εr = 100 dielectric.

For S21 trace on smith chart, it presents the delay which I do understand.

But what represent a trace on S11 smith chart if i get a trace starting from the center of the chart (50 ohm load) curving clockwise on the capacitive side with same radius? the trace seems to get longer for higher dielectric constant. From my understanding, we should get a dot for S11 since it represent Γ = 1, right?

can anyone help to explain this phenomenon relating S11 and dielectric?
Thanx in advance.

What load do you have on the far end? If it is open you will get a reactance and the loss resistance.

fazlina

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
for Γ = 1 we have a circle along the edge of smith chart , coz it means that signal is totally reflected, we have dot if Γ = 0.

fazlina

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.