Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SMD soldering help...Urgent !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunny55

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, i have a very small smd ic and i cannot find the right breakout board for it. I have came across people soldering very thin wires( i do not know what its called) onto smd components. How would that affect the current in and out of the IC as usually jumper wires are used on veroboards and not that thin wires.

In other words, i plan to solder the thin wires on to the smd connectors but not sure if its correct to do so and whether the wires can be used together with jumper wires on veroboard. Pls help.

I didn't get what do you mean exactly but I have a question : why you don't use a PCB board ?

Hi sunny55 i agree with mf1364 why not etch an copper claded board according to your ckt daigram.You can take professinal help for that, as it will make your things lot easier for you as you are using smd components.

I cannot find the correct breakout board for the ic and i need to do its urgently. No time to make pcb.

- - - Updated - - -

To speed things up, i plan to solder tiny wires to the smd part n attach it to veroboard.

If you have the optical and manual acuracy to do that, do that and they will work, One more easy way is to find a so called smd adapter, they are easily to solder available for near all kinds off smd, but in some cases you will need special tools due to to very small foot print, A solder paste take place off the regular solder for small devices, and normally you must use a furnace ou hot hair, for soic devices is relative easy to solder using standard solder , the key is to have "solder flux"

To speed things up, i plan to solder tiny wires to the smd part n attach it to veroboard.
Why don't you just try?

You'll need a fine solder tip (< 1 mm), fine solder wire (<= 0.5 mm) and some thin wire of your choice, either thin solderable enamelled wire or bare wire, preferable tinned. One wire of a stranded cable usually works for it.

Needless to say that you need a steady hand and good lighting. It's usually helpful to glue the IC bottom-up to the veroboard.

Good luck!

Why don't you just try?

You'll need a fine solder tip (< 1 mm), fine solder wire (<= 0.5 mm) and some thin wire of your choice, either thin solderable enamelled wire or bare wire, preferable tinned. One wire of a stranded cable usually works for it.

Needless to say that you need a steady hand and good lighting. It's usually helpful to glue the IC bottom-up to the veroboard.

Good luck!

Hi, thanks for your support. I want to know what wire size i need to use for 5A current ? i mean for enamel copper wire( those very tiny wires for soldering small smd parts).

Thanks.

5A ? tiny wire ? No way

5A ? tiny wire ? No way

I m also using thick wires for connecting the SMD IC with the rest of the circuit on a veroboard and the thick wires is designed to carry 10A and now its just 5A and it should be "OK" to use normal wire size for the tiny wire. Am i right?

- - - Updated - - -

5A ? tiny wire ? No way

I m also using thick wires for connecting the SMD IC with the rest of the circuit on a veroboard and the thick wires is designed to carry 10A and now its just 5A and it should be "OK" to use normal wire size for the tiny wire. Am i right?

An IC capable of 5A might use small packages, but the power pins will still have a certain cross section, or utilize many in parallel. In so far there shouldn't be a problem to connect wires of appropriate gauge.

What is the copper diameter off your wire

I have seen SMD - DIP adapter boards for various pin
configs, at one of the distributors I shop - can't remember
which, but probably Digi-Key or Mouser.

You might do something like get a good quality DIP socket
or header, epoxy the SMD dead-bug onto its body and
then do your fine soldering pin-pin giving you a pluggable
kludge. Remembering of course that its pinout will be
flipped from all the docs.

Hi, i have a very small smd ic and i cannot find the right breakout board for it. I have came across people soldering very thin wires( i do not know what its called) onto smd components. How would that affect the current in and out of the IC as usually jumper wires are used on veroboards and not that thin wires.

In other words, i plan to solder the thin wires on to the smd connectors but not sure if its correct to do so and whether the wires can be used together with jumper wires on veroboard. Pls help.

Can you better describe "Small SMD IC" what package and IC name.

You can use small PCB adapters as SOIC to DIP, TQFP to DIP, ....

For my personal needs, if I need DIP, I make my own PCB adapters, and works well for TQFP32 -->> to standard SDIP28-32 (no wide), TQFP44, SO...., but you can find and buy factory mades PCB adapters over Internet.

See few examples how this looks :

**broken link removed** **broken link removed**

:wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.