Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SMD electrolytic capacitor Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrTweak

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
HI,

Been searching ALL over the internet to try to figure these numbers on a SMD Cap that i need to replace. I was replacing the AC jack on a laptop when this part fell off and there is no way of soildering the orginal one back on. All the Cap has on the top of it is

98 (but the 8 looks more like a 0 with a - though it)
ELA (the LA are still upper case but smaller than the E

EDIT: The 98 might be a 9e as well

Any help in identifying the voltage and the farad info will help me out a lot in finding a replacement!

Last edited:

**broken link removed**

I want to say the 9e is some kind of manufactor code. The 100 from what i've been reading up i can't tell if it means 100 micro f or 10 with 0 0's after it from what i've been reading up. so i don't know if its 100 or 10.

And i want to say because of the capitol E that its 16 Volts but at the same time the little e can also mean 2.5 volts. So damn confusing.

Thank you though for taking a look

Ok, I will need to check when I am at a computer but my guess is a Panasonic ELA series electrolytic, 100uF 20V.

Keith

I cannot find exact data. Panasonic don't seem to have an ELA (or EELA) series although it may be an obsolete part depending on how old the product is. I am pretty certain it is 100uF. The picture looks like a 9e which could be a voltage rating but normally only a single letter would be required to cover the range of voltages made. The dimensions may give a clue - a big one will be higher voltage!

Keith.

it came off a Gateway laptop. its not that old. a few years...4 max. And i don't have a ruler or anything but its about the size of a pencil eraser. I had tired a 100uF 16V but the laptop just turned on for a quick sec then shut of. I orginally tired a 6.3V 100uF but it just blew up in my face pretty much haha so i know it can't a 2.5V if a 6.3V blew up. I'll have to wait till tomorrow night when i stop at my parents and go though my box from school and see if i got a 100uF 20V in there. I don't have any with me.

I also tired searching for any ELA caps and i couldn't find anything. Thank you for your help so far Keith!

Ryan

**broken link removed** I want to say the 9e is some kind of manufactor code. The 100 from what i've been reading up i can't tell if it means 100 micro f or 10 with 0 0's after it from what i've been reading up. so i don't know if its 100 or 10. And i want to say because of the capitol E that its 16 Volts but at the same time the little e can also mean 2.5 volts. So damn confusing. Thank you though for taking a look
By the picture, its 100Mfd electrolytic. regarding voltage, i guess it should be 50 volts rating as the "E" indicates. Anyways, using a 50 volts capacitor in place of any other will have no affect on its working. Compare the sizes when you buy one.
Cheers

Thanks for the Replies guys.

As for as the voltage vs size goes I haven't seen a Cap that size for 50 volts. They are all way bigger than that. A 35v is twice as big (Thats for regular ones not the SMD ones).

I posted a request for that laptop. thanks for that thread Keith! I need to get this thing fixed. Grabbed all my stuff from my parents. Gonna see what i got. But glad i had two people confirm that its 100 micro farads

I have a Digital Video camera and got problem on that with this type of capacitors. The marking I found is 100µF, 25 volts.
Hope it helps, but if the Laptop comes on for a blink this is not the problem of this capacitor. Some other problem is there, too.

Yea I used a 100uF 35V that I had. I think there might be a CPU problem as well as the orginal problem i had. The orginal CPU will turn on for not even a second and the whole thing will power off. I put in another CPU and it just power cycles. only for 3 second and does a restart. Not sure if it suppost the CPU i put in there. But thanks for all the help guys! I'll post back if i have any more issues and trouble! I'm glad i found this site. Helpful members who actually know what they are talking about!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back