Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SMD circuit protection for 24V powered system

Status
Not open for further replies.

jabidof

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
24v circuit protection

I'm looking for an SMD circuit protection for a device connected to the 24V of a truck. I heard there could be voltage and or current spikes.
How to protect the 5V electronics efficiently?

Any hint much appreciated.

Re: Circuit protection 24V

Usually a surge supression diode does the job but there are other technologies. It is my opinion that in your case a tranzorb is the most effective one.

That pulse is generally known as Load Dump pulse. In automotive standards (SAEJ1211), the pulse specifications (Peak Voltage, Time etc) are given for 12V and 24V systems.

Generally, a TVS(Transient Voltage Suppressor) diode is used at the input of the regulator. Also, some additional circuit is required to operate TVS diode in safe mode is required. The circuit design is depend on the minimum input voltage required for the regulator and maximum circuit current.

---- Nandu

Thanks for those helpful information.

Following that topic, i need some hint for the design of an autonomous device operating on battery. This battery is charged when 24V power supply is available. When the 24V is cut, the battery has to power the circuit and a microcontroller should sense that in order to run in low power mode.

Any schematic you could share? Or links, etc.?

Status
Not open for further replies.