Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SMD and Normal Components

Status
Not open for further replies.

elec_boy_1

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
qfn veroboard

Hello all,
I am trying to construct a Zigbee enabled sensor module using CC2430 IC from TI.
My problem is I do not have the smd components apart from the ic available in my country.
I will like to ask whether it is possible to have a pcb board with just the CC2430 and leads coming out from all of the 48 pins and then use normal discrete resistors and capacitors connected with these pins to realize the circuit.
Will this approach work?

Yes. soldering smd ic is not much complicated.

do it

Regards
Nandhu

elec_boy_1

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thank you

Thank you Nandhu. I will get right to it then............

Hi,

I have been using CC1100 similar Ic from TI . The manufacturer reccomennds to follow the soldering process(JDEC standard). I tried prototyping using hot air gun but that did not yield good results as some chips worked and others did not work. As far as i know it is difficult to solder such QFN packages using ordinary solder iron or hot air gun .Its better that you look out for some Outsourced production house where they solder these chips using a reflow owen. Please be mindfull of following the PCB layout specified by TI as layout plays a critical role in RF performance.

elec_boy_1

Thank you for your reply rajeshkumar.
As far as following the layout plan given by TI, I will try to follow them. Yes I am looking for someone that does reflow oven soldering.
Actually what I am trying to do is solder the IC on a pcb and bring out veroboard solderable leads from all of the 48 pins and ground. Then I will mount it on a veroboard and use readily available components like Metal Film Resistance and Ceramic capacitors for the associated circuitry as given in the datasheet. Then a 50 ohm whip antenna along with the recommended balun will form the RF radiation part.
I will be much obliged by inputs from you as you have first hand experience of working with such Chipcon IC's from TI

I wish it was for an organization :D. At least I would not have had to worry about costs!
Actually this is for my college project.
I am interested in Zigbee. Hence I am forsaking all my pocket money for a year to be able to have the pleasure of designing a working Zigbee network.
I have taken my college project objective and trying to implement it with Zigbee.

Hi,

First hats off for your curiosity.

I do not get you exactly . I am terribly sorry that i dont know what a veroboard is. Remember that you also have to apply solder paste as recoomended by on the Ground plane present on the back side of the IC. Take care not to heat the IC too much . Use a good temperature controlled solder iron for that.

Wish you good luck

With Regards
S.Rajesh Kumar

elec_boy_1

A veroboard is a board where there are holes separated by 3mm and on the bottom side there are contacts. Much like a breadboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back