Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Small transistor signal analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sebastie

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Transistor small signal analysis

Hello all,
I would want to study a low noise preamp with small signal analysis, but I don't really know I can do.
I would want to calculate the gain of the amplifier.

I tried to deduce the equivalent schematic in small signal analysis, but I don't know how I can start with this two stage, do I separate them ? and how ? What is the method to do the analysis with multiple stages like this ?

Another question, how can I deduce the 1/y11 and 1/y22 values ?

I hope that you coudl help me
Thanks

Original schematic : Original schematic.png
Small signal analysis : Schematic.png

The equivalent circuit looks correct.

As a first step you'll need to determine the DC operation point to determine the actual transistor parameters. AN exact analysis requires to solve a nonlinear equation system, so you'll most likely use some simplifications for the calculation, e.g. constant Vbe and current gain.

Secondly, the small signal analysis can be always be performed by general linear network methods you'll find in your text books. In most cases, an estimation of both transistor stages' voltage gains and overall feedback factor will be sufficient. It can be derived from an intuitive view.

The equivalent circuit looks correct.

AN exact analysis requires to solve a nonlinear equation system, so you'll most likely use some simplifications for the calculation, e.g. constant Vbe and current gain.

Secondly, the small signal analysis can be always be performed by general linear network methods you'll find in your text books. In most cases, an estimation of both transistor stages' voltage gains and overall feedback factor will be sufficient. It can be derived from an intuitive view.

can you explain a little more sir

You'll notice that neither the exact beta nor VA (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_voltage) have much effect on the overall gain in the present circuit. y22 is often ignored in simplified analysis, for beta you can assume some medium value.

can you explain a little more
I don't intend to retell the text books.

Hi Sebastie,

an ac small-signal model depends on the used dc operating point.
Therefore, the calculation must start by roughly calculating the quiescent currents through both transistors.
This task looks complicated - but in principle you only have to combine several equations that can be read out of the circuit diagram.
In this context some simplifications are necessary:
Ie=Ic, Ib=0, Vbe=0.7 volts, I(R4)<<I(R3)=Ic,2

Then we can write:

false: V1-Ic,2*R3=Ve,2=Vb,2+0.7=Vc,1+0.7 >>> Ic,2/Ic,1=R2/R3
correct: V1-Ic,2*R3=Ve,2=Vb,2+0.7=Vc,1+0.7=5-Ic,1*R2+0.7 >>> Ic,1=(Ic,2*R3 + 0.7)/R2
Vb,1=Ve,2*16/(16+56)
Vb,1=Ve,1+0.7)
Ve,1=(Ic,1+Ic,2)*R6

Perhaps you can re-check this calculation?

As a second step you can use transconductance g=Ic/VT (without using h21=beta).

Good luck.

Sorry for the correction.

Last edited:

Hello and thansk a lot for your replies.
I'm going to hazve a look on calculation.

I made an error with the small signal schematic : the R1 and R4 are referenced to the ground not to the emitter of T1

Status
Not open for further replies.