Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Small Signal Analysis- why ground all power connectors ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

karakurto

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Small Signal Analysis

Hi,

When we try to find the small signal equivalent of a circuit, we apply AC and all the DC power supply nodes(like Vdd and Vss) pretend as if they are ground. At least in text books this is what is taught, but no explanation for that(or I couldn't find). I can't figure out the reason behind that? What are the physical or electrical explanations for that? I mean why DC nodes are accepted as gorund for ac analysis?
Thanks

Re: Small Signal Analysis

Hi

It is because you can not have any AC signal on something which has a constant value.

So an ideal DC-supply of 12V cannot be higher or smaller than 12V i.e. the voltage over it can not change.
The small-signal voltage across will then be zero, this is why it is considered as a ground node i small signal analysis.

Hope it helps

karakurto

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Small Signal Analysis

Thanks tyassin, your answer is clear and makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.