Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

small die size but large pin numbers!!! what should I DO? @.@

Status
Not open for further replies.

sharkies

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a 2.1 x 1.7 die requiring 48 pins.
Half of the pins are for digital, and the other half are for analog&RF

Since I have 48 pins, I am forced to use a big package. The down side is the large amount of inductance. I looked up AMKOR's MLF package and the inductance is 1nH for their 48pin package; This is assuming that die size is 4.5 X 4.5. Since my die size is much smaller than that (smaller than half of that), bond wires will be inevitably longer and have more inductance.

What should I do? my analog parts are a bit sensitive to these inductances. Is there a better package than MLF? BGA is not an option... Will COB(chip-on-board) help in my situation? I've been told that COB will not improve much since my pin numbers are already large and that alone will require my bondwire to be long....

Let me know . Thanks

One of method to reduce pin count is sharing some functions with one pin. Its function can be decided by voltage level or timing controlling.

you do not need to put the die in the center of the package. You could have the analog side(s) - up to two, of course - closer to the package sides and let the digital bond wires run longer.

Why do you need wirebonds? Can you bump and flip?
Area aray bump bonds on the die are common for RF
circuits. Often bump pads only consist of top metal so
you can put circuitry under them.

Of course making your digital controls serial is a good
way to shave pad count too, at the expense of more
on-chip logic and more handholding from the host.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back