Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Small device with gps tracking capability from a smartphone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thomas Hutton

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Nice blog and very informative. I have a questions I am hoping someone might have some advice.

I am new to electronics and looking to make something with the following functions.

Small device with gps tracking capability from a smartphone. Plus the ability to click a button (from an app) which activates a vibration on the device. Also maybe another button on the app where I can remotely turn on an LED light.

I found a battery, vibration device, gps, and am not sure what kind of circuit board I need?

Any thoughts?

Sincerely,
Shane

Last edited by a moderator:

Re: Newbie needs help with electronics questions. PLEASE HELP!

application.png
The image above shows a basic block diagram of which systems are there and how are they connected. A PIC16Fxxxx mid range 8-bit micro controller is the center and will control all the peripherals. Power supply is provided to MCU (microcontroller unit) and all peripherals (not shown in figure). GPS will provide data u need with communication protoc like UART. The bluetooth module is used to communicate to bluetooth mobile application from which things will get controlled (as what i understood from above question) as slave device. Vibration device can be controlled through ports or internal MCU peripheral (in case of motor). You can add LED or any other indicator or notification etc as you need.

All you have to do is interface them in circuit using orcad or any other circuit design application and then write C code for configuration as you need. You can also use other MCU's like PIC24F (16 bit devices), dsPIC33F (dsp enabled PIC MCU), msp430 from TI etc. Choose the microcontroller which will take very small power consumtion and form factor. I prefer 8 bit PIC's. All upto you.

Hope that helps.

Re: Newbie needs help with electronics questions. PLEASE HELP!

Very helpful. Thank you. Is there another option instead of bluetooth? I need a longer distance if possible. Looks like even the most high power bluetooth is less than a 1/16 of a mile.

- - - Updated - - -

Basically what I am doing is building a dog collar with these functions:

-GPS locate through website (or phone app)
-Click a button on the website (or phone app) and a vibrations starts on the collar.
-Click a button on the website (or phone app) and a light turns on the collar.

so weight and size are a huge factor.

- You need a GPS on collar then which will send the longitude and latitude info to your device of choice (PC or Smartphone).
- If you use smartphone as communication option then, you have limited option which are inbuilt into smartphone for communication viz. Bluetooth, SMS (GSM module), GPRS (GSM/GPRS module), InfraRed (if available in smartphone) etc.
If you need long distance communication then GSM i.e. SMS system is way to go, because sending SMS is easier through 8-bit MCU and includes ASCII characters.
- You can use a small coin battery along with small 8-pin PIC MCU i.e. PIC12F which has very small footprint, GSM module with built-in GPS. Use two or four layer PCB. After prototype testing if you find power is an issue, keep the MCU device in sleep mode and do periodic check using internal watchdog of MCU in PIC like every 256 seconds. Also, you can use DC-DC charge pump convertors which are cheap and have a footprint of 1/20th to 1/50th of a matchbox stick. (https://www.microchip.com/ParamChartSearch/chart.aspx?branchID=9006&mid=10&lang=en)
- There are also rechargeable Li-ion battery or nickel cadmium batteries wich runs for days without dying in higher AH rating. And having small size as well.

Hope that helps.

Thanks ashugtiwari. Would you be interested in putting one of these together for us? How much would you charge? We need a prototype to test. I would have to double check with my partner first. Please let me know.

I can do circuit and C code. So, if you wish to DIY and has any question post here in corresponding forum, i will try my best to answer it. But, if you want me to help building one, please send me personal message.
The forum is to only solve problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back